Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Jim Chapin News

  1. #1
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I heard from a reliable source Jim is in the hospital w/a circulatory problem. Anyone got any updates?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Cameron_Mahoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 11th, 2003
    Posts
    146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Either way, I hope for his safety and will be thinking of him.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have no news on it, but, i would bet anyone that he has a practice pad and some sticks in there with him... and i am actually serious, i bet he really does.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I certainly wish him the best, it was wonderful the times i got to study with him... i have rarely seen that much enthusiasm from any one person ever. I can surely, surely say that he treats a kid who can barely hold the sticks the same way he would treat Vinnie, he treats everyone like they are someone who could be able to learn something and he tries his best to give you something that you may have not had before.

    Quick story...

    I remember when i studied with him, this last time about 2 years ago; he had me working on these stickings with these pull-backs (snap-ups). It took me a while to really work out exactly what he wanted. When i finally got it, he gets up, runs out of the room, and brings back in all these people and starts saying, "Look at that there... beautiful! He couldn't do that before and now look, wonderful!". I don't know how wonderful it really was i mean, he has worked with people whose pinky's have more chops than my whole body (i.e. Virgil studied with him). However, to him it was wonderful that he got me to somewhere where i hadn't been before, that he helped me learn something, and he literally jumped up and went and brought back a crowd of people because he was so excited... he was genuinely happy for me.

    I bet his roommate in the hospital is gonna leave with some killer Moeller chops cause Jim is a guy who was born to teach... a wonderful person, Jim is.

    Prayers and all the best wishes i can offer.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Let's not jump the gun here...I am only asking if this source is accurate or someone has more info. I hope all is well, but he is an older man and from what I heard, he was in the hospital. I searched and could not confirm.

    Anyone?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member donu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by PocketPlayer:
    Let's not jump the gun here...I am only asking if this source is accurate or someone has more info. I hope all is well, but he is an older man and from what I heard, he was in the hospital. I searched and could not confirm.

    Anyone?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is the info i got from Virtual Drummer School newsletters:

    Jim Chapin needs our help

    Today we will ask you to help someone who has been crucial to the history of drumming; Jim Chapin. He is without a doubt one of the best pedagogues of the history, and he finds himself in a lamentable situation, where he can?t pay the hospital bills that his illness requires. To illustrate what Jim Chapin is like, I would like to tell you about when I met him at the PASIC three years ago. I had lots of interviews, so my days began when they opened the doors. Every morning, I met Jim, with his pad and sticks. He spent all the day playing, and he was 80 years old at the moment! Later on, we met at the KOSA festival. He was getting very ill, so he was in a wheelchair. But there were two things he hadn?t forgotten....his pad and sticks. Now Jim needs our help, and I would like to ask you all to buy his methods. I?m sure many of you know this great master. Let us show solidarty to someone who has done so much for other drummers. .

    Stupid medical help system of USA again [img]mad.gif[/img] [img]mad.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Pocketime's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2003
    Posts
    322
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Count me in!! Jim you are in my prayers. PT.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member benrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    1,491
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Stupid medical help system of USA again
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And that's a stupid statement.

    Trust me, Jim will get the medical care he needs and will have YEARS to pay anything off, if he is forced to, without interest...I speak from personal experience. US doctors are THE MOST charitable doctors in the WORLD...as well as THE BEST.

    Unlike the medical systems in other countries where you have to WAIT to get in...nothing like politics and bureacracy to screw up the medical system.

    Why is it that when a foreign leader gets really sick, he comes here?

    Sorry for the rant, but that is just a ridiculous statement. Jim is better off here than in England or France or Canada or wherever the hell else.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member troutbrooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by benrand:
    Jim is better off here than in England or France or Canada or wherever the hell else.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, I understand that you have personal experience here with the medical establishment in the U.S., but do you have personal experience with the same in England, France or Canada? I do, and personally, I would rather take my chances in ANY ONE of those countries before I submit myself to the U.S. system.

    I feel that the U.S. system is ENTIRELY geared towards money. There may be great doctors here, but there are great doctors in EVERY country. Some of them prefer to work where money isn't the prime motivational factor, that's all.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are many charitable doctors here, but as a system, it is very flawed.

    Let's not forget what happened to Mark Craney.

    My 2 cents.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Groovemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2002
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wasn't it not so long ago that Jabo Starks had some severe medical problems and was unable to pay for the treatment he required?

    That sounds downright wrong to me.

    We had a benifit for him hereand contributed to a small fund that was set up for him, so I think he eventually got treated. But only through the charity of others...

    MP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •